Sunday 1 January 2012

Goodbye 2011

Unusually in our house we stayed up to see in the New Year last night. Well, it was more to make sure the old year left really. At the time I decided to do this it seemed like a good idea. That was before Mrs Blog decided to get in on the act.

"Right" she said, "We are going to do this properly."

She then looked up "First-footing" on the internet. This is an ancient custom celebrated in Scotland and Northern England designed to bring good luck to the household. It should involve a dark haired man knocking on your door just after midnight bringing coal, food, whisky and some money. In most parts of Scotland it is now more an excuse to gate-crash your neighbour's party.

No such luck in my life though! Without going into details our First Footing ended up with

"Oh no it is after midnight and you should be outside already!" from Mrs Blog.

She then pushed me out the back door in my dressing gown and her "crocs" plastic slippers (size 4 and I am size 7). I then ran round the house in the dark to the front door. Halfway round I discover the neighbours opposite are doing the same thing and I nearly dropped the plate Mrs Blog had shoved into my hand holding coal, shortbread, a pound coin and tumbler of scotch.

I then had to employ all the fieldcraft techniques I learned in the army cadets  thirty years ago to get past the neighbours without being seen and back into my own house!

Mrs Blog demonstrated her sympathy for predicament by doubling over laughing at me. Happy Bloody New Year!

1 comment:

  1. Very, very funny! Mrs Blog isn't the only one laughing - just wish we had a similar tradition down here!

    ReplyDelete