Friday 9 December 2011

The Spite Goblin works for FlyBe

So, a week ago I write a blog about the complete injustice of the FlyBe "rewards for all programme" and have the misfortune to fly with them again this week. In doing so I discover that the Spite Goblin (referred to in the very first post) actually is employed by them. The SG takes revenge against me, usually for things I have done wrong. This time I am innocent and can only conclude the SG is in the paid employ of Jim French the CEO of FlyBe.

Here is the tale. I arrived at Edinburgh airport yesterday morning for the 7.05 a.m. flight to Southampton. My plan was to have a day trip to Basingstoke, returning on the 18.35 flight that evening.

The 7.05 took off late and arrived twenty minutes behind schedule owing to the fact that the ground staff who work for FlyBe cannot count. The delay was entirely down to them waiting for a passenger which did not exist as a result of a sums-mistake. Nonetheless I get to the meeting in time, do all I have to do in Basingstoke and head off at about 16.00 to get back to Southampton.

The information board in the executive lounge said "Edinburgh Flight 773 - Relax and Wait" - this was at about 17.00. It also said exactly the same for the previous two flights. As I showed my boarding pass to the girl in the lounge she reminded me "We don't make announcements, please watch the board". No need to make announcements when the 14.35, 16.40 have not even taken off yet!

I wait and watch the information board steadily ratchet up lie after lie, saying "Next announcement in half an hour" again and again. Now to be fair there was the small issue of a hurricane passing through Scotland that afternoon.

Eventually they announce the earlier two flights are combined and taking off at 20.00, then they call my flight and said hurry to gate 8 - it is about to board. So hurricane over!

The earlier two flights duly board and take off - with fewer passengers than the plane can hold - I know I heard the girl at the despatch gate refer to it (this one could count!)

Then at 20.15 they cancel my flight due to adverse weather at Edinburgh!! having already cancelled the later flight this meant no way of getting home.

I legged it to the ticket desk where a surly mare ask me what I want. I explain that I am now stranded and cannot get home. She books me on the 12.40 the following day and expected me to wander off.

"I have nowhere to stay tonight and no luggage, what am I supposed to do?"

"Here is a list of hotels you can ring"

"Can I claim the costs back?"

"You can try! Next!"

I then hustled out side to where I knew there was a "Premier Inn" a five minute walk away, through it must be said, some pretty adverse rain with no umbrella.

Merry Christmas signs greet me as I go in bedraggled and thoroughly miffed. And in true Christmas tradition there was no room at the Inn!!!

A sleepless night in the sister hotel in Southampton centre next to the rail freight yard, which works noisily all night long, made a truly bad day turn into a truly awful night. Finally get home a full twenty fours later and felt compelled to update my blog.

If anyone reading this works for FlyBe please let them know I am happy to offer training on maths, customer service, communication skills, time-management and how to make announcements at airports, all at an exorbitant price of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment