Friday 1 February 2013

Vodafone

I have a pay as you go Vodafone. Realising that I would be better off with a pay-monthly contract I rang their "help line". The only way they can carry out this number change is to get me to ask for a new number on a pay-monthly SIM card and then transfer the old number to the new SIM card account.

I duly ordered the free new SIM card that had a number I did not want. It arrived by special courier rather than in a small envelope (presumably at no small cost to Vodafone).

Being no Luddite I went on to the Vodafone website to arrange for the automatic transfer for the old number to the new SIM card with the number I did not want. All was going well 'till it asked me for my Account number. I hovered the mouse over the question mark at the side of the box where the account number should go and  it instructed me to check the emails I had been sent confirming the order.

I checked the emails and found no mention of the account number. I went to my online account and entered my logon details and found that I had no account number. I went back to the online form and checked again. It told me that if I had any trouble I should dial 191. I did....


(after 5 mins holding because they were experiencing unprecedented demand)

"Hi I am trying to find my account number"
"What is your mobile number?"
"The old one or the new one I did not want?"
"The old one"
"1234546 (changed to protect my voicemail)"
"That is a pay as you go number"
"Yes I know- I am changing to a pay monthly account"
"This is the pay as you go helpline. You need the pay monthly helpline."
(transferred to pay monthly)
"Hi I am trying to find my account number."
"What is your telephone number."
"The old one or the new one I did not want?"
"The pay monthly one."
"9876543 (changed for the same reason)"
"No that is not your number. Can you tell me your account number?"
"NO, THAT IS WHY I AM RINGING YOU!"

It turns out my new number that I did not want is a number that seemingly nobody on the planet wants including Vodafone because, despite it being written on the packaging and the despatch note, it does not exist!



No comments:

Post a Comment