Monday 11 March 2013

Neo-Luddite

Mr Blog has had enough of technology.

Today, having ventured through snow and blizzards to get to Edinburgh, he bought a new laptop. Being up to the minute on technology is an impossible task since they (usually Microsoft) change everything every week To combat this ignorance I spent an age on the home PC yesterday checking reviews and specifications.

I found just what I wanted a Lenovo G580, very reasonably priced, with a 6GB RAM, 1 TB of hard drive, USB 3 and USB 2, integral webcam, 2 yr John Lewis guarantee. All I needed to ask the assistant in the shop was about the software I needed to add to it.
The assistant told me all about Office 365 which I did not need. He also told me that I was going to have Windows 8, whether or not I wanted to, because it was the only operating system they had (without spending a fortune on a Mac). I could not stay with Office 2010 because they don't do that any more, you have to have Office 2013. All in all that meant getting use to a brand new operating system and at least five new programme updates. Thanks Bill! Regulars might remember my problem with Bill Gates in Clock Chaos 2.

So I have wrestled all day trying to work out the simplest thing - how do you switch off a laptop when using Windows 8? There is no start - shut down option!! I eventually had to use another PC to search on Google because there were no instructions/help function etc. 

The answer for anyone out there struggling with the same problem is.... hover over the right hand of the screen with the mouse, select settings- power options-turn the bloody thing OFF!!

Why cant I buy a new machine with Windows XP and Office 2007?






No comments:

Post a Comment