Monday 19 September 2011

Switzerland a funny place

Just back from a weekend in Switzerland. Sounds grand but I was in an official capacity being Godfather to nephew-blog-Ben. Flying into Geneva reminded me of my first trip there many years ago on business. I had a series of meetings in the centre of Geneva including a lunch in a charming restaurant.. Sipping a glass of wine I took in the surroundings and noticed movement outside the window. At first I doubted my sanity but after a second or two I could not deny that I was looking at an elephant.

Given that I was in the middle of a deep discussion with a guy called Cedric about the tax implications of UK non-residents investing in Swiss banks, it seemed inappropriate to say
"Cedric, is that an elephant out of the window?"
So I kept quiet.
Seconds later a second elephant went past, then a third, fourth, fifth. When the sixth elephant went past I was marvelling at the properties of Swiss wine and beginning to understand why almost none of it is exported.

Stuff the business

"Cedric is that an elephant out of the window?"

(Probably the most surreal question asked of a financial intermediary in the history of business.)

"Ah yes" he replied, "There is a circus in the town today".

As I sighed with relief I glanced out of the window again and saw the Geneva Municipal Street Cleaners - shovelling madly, keeping up appearances!

No comments:

Post a Comment