Wednesday 23 November 2011

Air Miles - a carthartic blog

Just in case you missed it BA has merged its air miles programme with ILG following their merger. The headlines in the press said that users of BA miles would now have to pay taxes and surcharges when using the air miles. Twaddle! You have had to pay taxes with BA for years. Time for a rant...

I have over 330,000 BA miles which according to their blurb lets me fly my family to Hong Kong and back. Not so! They never release enough seats to let you take a family of four unless ...one of you goes first class, one business and two in economy. I tried booking a simple trip - Edinburgh to Paris - thinking the availability would be better. I was right! But...the taxes were more expensive than flying with Easyjet at their normal price. So perhaps you would think I would switch my allegiance to BMI?

I did. I have over 750,000 BMI miles. The same problem - no bloody seats anywhere you want to go. The best I can do is book Edinburgh to London, which given that is where I fly every bloody week with BMI, I really don't want to go there! So switch to another airline??

I did. FlyBe. Better know to frequent flyers as .. Fly Maybe. They say they have the most generous frequent flyer programme in the UK. Surely I would be on a winner here? I accumulated "Rewards for All" points for a year - fifty of them to be precise. Unlike BA and BMI they have to be used in 12 months or be lost. That means having flown with them fifty times the best I can get is about three return trips all in the UK or two European return trips. I thought "OK, lets take Mrs Blog for a weekend away". Alas...no availability - ON ANY ROUTE ANYWHERE. I even tried Glasgow to Barra in October thinking that surely there would be a spare seat, but no!

A total bloody rip off.

....and relax!

No comments:

Post a Comment