Wednesday 26 September 2012

Catching Mice

Living where we do in the countryside of the Scottish Borders, we are occasionally troubled with wee rodents.

Based on extensive previous experience I am equipped with a "live capture" mouse-trap (which inspired me to take Mrs Blog to the play of the same name in London for our twentieth anniversary three years ago).

The live capture mouse-trap variety is compulsory in the blog-household, where Mrs Blog would do me bodily injury and possibly murder if I harmed one of God's little vermin.

So having spotted a vole making furtive trips to and from the back of the Blog-house I readied the trap with a a handful of chocolate drops. For anyone who thinks cheese is the correct bait - think again, chocolate is the choice of the pro!

Next morning I noticed that the trap had been sprung and lifted it up to establish whether the claim "live capture" was appropriate.I could not feel anything running around in the trap. My heart sank. Mrs Blog was going to kill me for accidentally killing a mouse or worse still a fluffy little vole. With a heavy heart and the weight of trepidation on me I opened the trap .....

.... and found a slug!


No comments:

Post a Comment