Saturday 13 October 2012

Learning Gaelic

Inspired by the beauty of the Gaelic language on our trip to Barra I decided to take a one day course for beginners.

The venue was the Tourist Office in Aberfeldy about two hours from Chez-blog. Arriving in good time for the 10.00 a.m. start, I got there at 9.00. Apparently nothing opens in Aberfeldy before 10.00 on a Saturday so no cup of tea or coffee in sight. Settling for a bottle of water and an apple from the just opened Coop I waited till the course opened.

There were four people in the broom cupboard of the Aberfeldy tourist office when I got there. One man and three women. The man looked about mid-seventies the women slightly younger with one exception which was a white haired lady who looked just like the women you see in 100 year old photos of "Black Cottages" or Crofts.

"Matin Va",
"Matin Va",
"Matin Va",
"Matin Va",

Not wishing to look a right pillock I decided to pretend I knew what was going on...
"Matin Va"

It seemed to be the right response.

Our teacher turned up along with three other students. We were asked to introduce ourselves...
"is mishe Richard", I said when it was my turn.

I discovered that the mid-seventies bloke next to me was Roger and that he was an advanced Gaelic speaker  who had no business being on my beginners course. (You may have guessed by now that Roger and I were not destined to become best friends).

All through the day Roger and I were paired up for exercises. These were made all nigh impossible by Roger demonstrating his extensive Gaelic vocabulary and asking me questions with words we had not covered. Feeling a right pratt I sat there looking dumb all day.

All I learned was that Aberfeldy is pronounced Opperfalldie and that I really did not like Roger

At the end of the course I was so close to asking the tutor

"What is the Gaelic phrase for "Shut up or sod off Roger!"."

No comments:

Post a Comment